<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 16, 2004

Every four years I swear that I won't get all caught up in the hype of the Olympics, and yet there I was on the weekend awake at 3am to watch the swimming. Mr R woke up at 5 this morning to watch the basketball, and I think the next two weeks will be spent in a bleary eyed haze. Ridiculous.

My favourite bits of the games though are those stories of people beating the odds, coming back from broken limbs, ripped muscles and um, decapitation to win for their country. Puts a tear in my eye every time. That's because I am a big softie, who has been know to cry in television commercials, and I also am completely in awe of anyone who pushes themselves so unbelievably hard. I am the sort of person who will willingly give up any sort of physical activity the second it starts to hurt, so hats off to those who do it for a living.

I am also a sucker for those weirdo sports that you only see at the Olympics, and no doubt after the next two weeks I will become an expert on European handball and table tennis. I think that it is absolutely hilarious that there is normal tennis, and table tennis at the Olympics. It's like having hockey, and then air hockey. Or soccer and fuseball.

Anyway, go Aussies - and any other come back kid who has overcome decapitation. I salute you.



|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com